Just my thoughts, etched in words...

Monday, July 31, 2006

Its past midnight, and when half of humanity would be tucked cozily in the warmth of their beds, here I am, for some weird reason, typing some arbit stuff.
And as usual, have nothing specific to write. I know its not something that I need to be proud about, and believe me, I’m not. And what is even more bizarre is that this is happening when I like, and enjoy writing. Something is seriously wrong here!

Watched ‘Omkara’ yesterday. It’s a very well made movie, sans the brusque use of words..but that I guess, one needs to show when you’re painting your own interpretation of the Western UP hinterlands, and again, we are’nt talking about refined society anyway. We’re talking diabolical here, the spiteful tale of inexorable deceit and revenge, which makes it…very, very human.
From Othello to Omkara, a lot has changed, the social setting, the idioms, the parlance, but what even these could not change is the disposition that man shares. Treason and sedition... its the same story everywhere….the machinating mind at its best! The egregious Iago becomes Langda Tyagi and the vulnerable Desdemona gracefully transforms into Dolly! Be it Othello, or our very own Omkara, the insecurities that they suffer from are analogous…the suspicions that they share are harmonious and at times, even nefarious …for here is this girl, completely in love with Othello, or Omkara, whichever you plan to choose…guileless in her loyalties, and the one thing that she deserves the most is what eludes her… Faith, of the person she thinks loves her.
Rest, as they say, is history.


Well, I don’t think I’ll go into the semantics of all that right now, I don’t think anyone will be interested in it either. Neither am I, at this unearthly hour, to foray into what frailties man suffers from…I don’t like it when others sermonize, and I have no intentions of being on the giving end myself, ensnaring all of you, who have bothered to come to my page and read this uneventful bit of scrawl.

6 Comments:

Blogger monideepa sahu said...

Hi Nupur, thoughtful post, this. As a Literature student, I had to sieve and filter through Othello and other Shakespearian tragedies. Loved them all the same. Great to see how this adaptation fits into the modern day rural UP psyche and resonates with someone like you.

10:24 AM, August 01, 2006  
Blogger Achal said...

Where exactly does opinion end and sermon begin is difficult to know.

2:38 PM, August 01, 2006  
Blogger ARJ said...

You definetly have style, when it comes to writing. keep it up and keep blogging. i havent seen either the movie or read the play... but would love to...

9:41 AM, August 02, 2006  
Blogger Ujwal said...

phew!! consider this "diabolical here, the spiteful tale of inexorable deceit and revenge"... make it a bit simpler for us chotta mortals to understand.

keep it up!!

1:34 PM, August 06, 2006  
Blogger Ujwal said...

opening line reminds me...so gaya yeh jahaan...so gaya hai kutta.

4:14 PM, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Whats In A Name said...

He he,
You liked the movie i think!!!
:-P
I actually cudnt understand the need to make this movie !! As if our lives arent already full of sad stories that one goes and sees poor kareena die ..
But must say your writing skills are awsome.:)

3:30 PM, September 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home