Just my thoughts, etched in words...

Monday, November 19, 2007

Jagjit Singh Concert


Went for a Jagjit Singh live concert day before. And it would be quite an understatement to say that I loved it. Yes, it was truly brilliant. I have always loved his ghazals but this was the first time that I was listening to him live, and he just made a fan for life!

He sang some of his old hits...ghazals that all of us knew by heart...infact, at one point he left the singing to be done by the audience itself, just giving a cue here and there. And for once I sang with relish too..it did'nt really matter that I was totally out of key since my wonderful voice got drowned with the rest!

Out of all the instruments in the world, the two I love the most are the tabla and the violin. One can never get tired of watching a tabla player create magic on the tabla...I've always been fascinated by the swiftness with which their fingers go! And what I love about them is the way they move their heads...with an absolute flourish, totally consumed by the rythm and beat of the tabla! And the violin!! Was never really that fond of it until I heard this guy play at a Parikrama Concert I went to while in College in Delhi..he was brilliant beyond description! And since then, I've kinda developed a ear for it....no other instrument can sound as meloncholy as this one.
And when you have two of my favourite instruments and some other equally brilliant ones like the flute, dholak and the keyboard in perfect jugalbandi, magic is what is born...especially when they reach that crescendo! The part that I love most about any concert!

Truly a fantastic experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home